Monday, July 11, 2011

Dumb As A Hammer

Here's yesterday's journal entry and where it's leading:

10 July 2011

Sang "Tender Mercies" in church today. I only know I got through it without major mishap. Beyond that, I have no idea how it went. Performing in sacrament meeting is different than any other venue. I just try to get out of the way--and being out of the way, I'm barely involved. It's just like when I'm unable to remember the content of a priesthood blessing I've just given. I'm dumb as a hammer. (The bishop tells me the Spirit was there--he could tell because the children all got quiet.)

What happened during the next two classes (with a little help from my friends Daniel and Isaiah, and with apologies to the teachers who thought I was taking notes on their lessons):

Make me dumb as a hammer in your hand.
Swing me wide, swing me sure.
Pound the kingdoms into sand.
Make me dumb as a hammer in your hand.

Make me light as a fire in your eye.
Make me light as a feather
on your wing against the sky,
light as flame in the furnace of your eye.

   I am a sword. Beat me flat
      into a blade to plow the ground.
   I am a spear. Bend my head
      to prune the barren branches down.
   I am a saw. Break my teeth
      against the idols in the land.
   Make me dumb as a hammer in your hand.

2 comments:

  1. Marvin, I always thought
    I'd rather be,
    as determined as a plow, or
    as sharp as a sword
    than
    as dumb as a hammer, but
    you make a convincing
    argument.
    Dumb as a hammer does
    have a familiar ring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark, I'm thrilled that somebody wrote something on my blog. I'm thrilled that they wrote something good. I'm thrilled that it was you. I'm enjoying the North Mountain painting. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete