Monday, June 20, 2011

Liddle fiddle

This may seem very small, but it's the kind of detail that commands a lot of attention in the writer's mind. Variant choruses, maybe four fully written, have been fighting for a place in this song. This morning I woke up feeling settled on one of them. Then, on a quick drive, somewhere near Third North in American Fork on my way to teach a Shakespeare class to some kids, a simple image change felt right.

Old:


"Tender mercies cover me,
cloth of covenant over me.
Tender tapestries Jesus wove
hang like holiness in the grove."

New:


"Tender mercies cover me,
cloth of covenant over me.
Prayers and promises Jesus wove
hang like holiness in the grove."

I lost "Tender tapestries" in favor of "Prayers and promises." Not as exotic and demanding, but maybe a little more clear. Does anybody have a preference? What kind of thoughts were stirred by "Tender tapestries"? What kind with "Prayers and promises"? Or do we just want something we can dance to? No kidding, I appreciate your thoughts. In a few days I'll post some music. That might make it easier. Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. Well, I..as a non-religious person prefer more internal, "universe" related language...I love the thought of tender tapestries. It's so global and thought-provoking. Tender tapestries...I love that! I am so excited to connect with you and see the evolution of your new CD!!

    ReplyDelete